Monday, January 4, 2010

Sans Siblings

SANS SIBLINGS


You love them ,hate them, love them, but still feel the need to pour out the minutest details of yours life to them, most of the times well aware of the fact that their reaction isn’t what you’re looking for and also aware of the high possibility of being ignored entirely. So before I’m asked to visit a shrink , I’d like to state that I’m an only child, and a somewhat indulged one at that, so don’t blame me. I have always failed to understand the mechanism of relationships between siblings, actually, come to think of it, what irk me more are the relationships between same sex siblings. I’m a firm believer in the theory that people come into this world with certain innate characteristic traits which cannot be altered much no matter what dynamic changes come about in their socioeconomic settings. Yes, a few attributes of ones life can be changed, in terms of superficial qualities like fashion sense and one’s wallet, but these aren’t exactly what we could term things that define a person. The innate characteristics that I’m talking about are formed primarily based on the parents and what’s been force fed by them slowly but surely into a child’s mind during his formative years .Now, what I’ve noticed among siblings is that due to this procedure being the same in all their cases , in four out of five cases the kids are freakishly similar till they are about say twelve. Once the delirious combination of adolescence and puberty strikes a year from then, they seem to try too hard to realize themselves socially in terms of distinguishing themselves from the others and also breaking free from their shackles of uniformity which has surrounded them until then. (Here’s a deal, if you’ve read this and are deeply disgusted, I allow you to track me down and pulverize me, I don’t need to mention that your siblings are welcome to do the same.)Getting back to where I was, so what one finds is that if one ends up garrulous, the other’s reticent. For me the complication is reduced when it comes to different sex siblings. The simple equations which are evident in these cases is elder=protective and younger=loudmouth. Honestly though I feel that nothing could be better than having a friend you can share your darkest secrets and crudest jokes with and if two brothers manage to work out such a relationship, I could only term it magical.

Cheers as I give my cousin a call and check on how he’s doing!!!!!


This was one of three articles i had written hoping to get an internship at a newspaper.Considering that isnt going to happen, i figure ill have to wait till im forty five and then perhaps have an important and substantial column like Vir Sanghvi's(Read it,it's killer,he talks about Latvian Food and its shortcomings an d how sauces from Bosnia and Sarajevo must be tried with exotic cheese...burp..sorry just finished my bread pakora )
Anyway thats a long time from now,one must be really qualified to eat and be critical of food at exorbidantly expensive restaurants perhaps.

Peace
Shantanu Anam

No comments:

Post a Comment